I love the flavors of coffee and caramel together, so I added both to my recipe. The espresso powder can be easily omitted for a pure caramel treat if you prefer. Also, there's caramel in the binder and bits of caramel throughout, so using the Dulce de Leche cereal isn't imparative. Plain or Chocolate Cheerios would be perfect substitutions (as would many other similar cereal varieties).
These treats are super simple and very quick to make - and of course, totally yummy!
Caramel Latte Cereal Treats
Adapted from Kellogg's
1/4 cup caramel dessert topping (I used Hershey's)
1 tsp instant espresso powder (this gives a light flavor - use 2 tsp for a stronger taste)
3 tbsp butter, cut into pieces
10.5 oz bag of mini marshmallows (as fresh as possible for best melting)
8 cups Dulce de Leche Cheerios (you can substitute regular Cheerios or other cereal)
11 oz bag Kraft Caramel Bits (or about 1 1/2 cups of chopped caramels)
1. Line a 9" X 13" baking dish with parchment paper. Lightly spray the dish with oil. Set aside.
2. Stir the caramel topping and espresso powder together. Set aside.
3. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Once melted, reduce the heat to low.
4. Add the marshmallows to the pot. Stir constantly until the marshmallows are melted and smooth. Stir in the caramel mixture.
5. Remove the pot from the heat. Add the cereal. Gently stir until the cereal is completely coated. Stir in the caramel bits.
6. Pour the cereal mixture into the prepared dish. Press firmly into an even layer (this is easier if you use an oiled piece of parchment or waxed paper). Allow the treats to come to room temperature.
7. Cut the treats into pieces. Serve! To store: cover and keep at room temperature. These are best served within 24 hours.