This recipe is embellished from one by Cook's Illustrated. The original recipe, vanilla, is wonderful. Add cherries and mint, though...well, now you've got something really special. Of course, you can make this ice cream whatever flavor you'd like - just don't add extra liquid or you'll get ice crystals.
I recommend that you drop everything and get started on a batch right this very moment. You'll be glad you did. It's magical!
Cherry Mint Magic Ice Cream
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup sour cream (or thickened yogurt)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp peppermint extract
1 tsp maraschino cherry liquid
A drop of red food coloring1 oz white chocolate, chips or chopped
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup maraschino cherries, drained and chopped (about 1/2 a 10oz jar)
1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
1. Combine 1/4 cup of the milk with the white chocolate in a small bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, stop, and stir. Repeat until the white chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
2. Combine the rest of the milk, the sour cream, extracts, and food coloring in a medium bowl. Mix well.
3. Stir the white chocolate mixture into the medium bowl. Stir until well blended and smooth.
4. Whip the cream in a large bowl (or stand mixer) until soft peaks form.
5. Whisk 1/3 of the whipped cream into the milk mixture. Pour the mixture into the whipped cream bowl. Fold until well blended. Fold in the cherries and peppermint candy.
6. Pour the mixture into an 8" baking dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 6 hours. Serve!