Orange Cream Blondies
Bar from America's Test Kitchen
Filling adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup orange marmalade
1 tsp finely grated orange zest
1/2 tsp orange extract
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cups butter, melted & cooled
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
4 tsp vanilla extract
1. For the Filling: beat the cream cheese together with the sugar in a medium bowl until creamy. Add the yolk and the vanilla extract and beat until well blended. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the marmalade, zest, and orange extract. Stir until no longer thick. Set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 9" square pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
4. For the Bars: in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
5. Combine the butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until creamy.
6. Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the bowl. Beat until thoroughly combined.
7. Add the flour mixture and beat until the dry ingredients are just incorporated.
8. Spread half of the batter in an even layer in the prepared pan.
9. Scoop spoonfuls of the cream cheese mixture over the batter. Gently spread the cream cheese into an even layer, reaching nearly to the sides of the pan.
10. Drizzle the marmalade mixture over the cream cheese. Gently spread the mixture into an even layer.
11. Scoop spoonfuls of the remaining batter over the marmalade. Gently spread into an even layer, reaching to the sides of the pan.
12. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the middle is set and the top is golden brown (mine took 55 minutes).
13. Transfer the pan to a rack to cool completely.
14. Cut into bars and serve!