This recipe was adapted from allrecipes.com. There are a few steps, and quite a bit of cooling time (that will definitely test your willpower - these smell heavenly), but overall, they're simple to make and certainly worth the effort!
Coconut Fudge Brownies
Filling adapted from allrecipes.com
Brownie adapted from Cook's Illustrated
4 cups unsweetened desiccated coconut
14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3/4 cups butter, cut into 1" pieces
5 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped or chips
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate, chopped or chips
1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 9" X 13" baking dish with parchment paper. Spray lightly with oil.
2. For the Filling: in a medium bowl, stir together the coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla. Set aside.
3. For the Batter: combine the butter, chocolate, and cocoa powder in a medium bowl. Microwave 45 seconds, stop, and stir. Microwave 30 seconds, stop, stir, and repeat until the chocolate is just melted and the mixture is smooth. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until well-blended.
5. Whisk the chocolate mixture into the sugar mixture. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
6. Stir in the flour until it is just incorporated - do not over mix.
7. Spread half of the batter into the prepared baking dish. Spread the filling evenly over the batter layer (the easiest way to do this is to crumble it over the top with your hands). Spread the remaining batter over the filling.
8. Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few crumbs attached.
9. Transfer the baking dish to a rack to cool for one hour. Do not cool longer than one hour before adding the topping or it won't stick.
10. Meanwhile for the Topping: combine the chocolate and vegetable oil in a small bowl. Microwave 45 seconds, stop, and stir. Microwave 30 seconds, stop, stir, and repeat until the chocolate is just melted and smooth. Let cool to warm.
11. Spread the topping in an even layer over the brownies. Let cool completely.
12. Cut into bars and serve! I decorated mine with powdered sugar polka dots.