Nuts, seeds, veggies, fruit
A homemade treat for your bird
1/2 unsulphered, unsweetened dried fruit (such as raisins or chopped mangos)
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup unsalted, shelled sunflower seeds
2 tbsp red pepper flakes
3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
4 oz baby food sweet potatoes
4 oz unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 cup water
1 cup frozen veggies, thawed (I use a combination of chopped carrots, peas, & corn)
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Line or grease 24 mini muffin cups.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the dried fruit, coconut, sunflower seeds, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Beat in the peanut butter, baby food, apple sauce, and water until well blended.
5. Pour the egg mixture into the center of the bowl with the flour mixture. Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry until nearly blended.
6. Add the fruit mixture and thawed veggies to the bowl. Gently fold everything together until just combined.
7. Fill each muffin cup about half full. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached.
8. Transfer the muffins to a rack to cool. Once cool, serve! The muffins can be wrapped and frozen for longer-term storage.