Sunday, July 15, 2012

Shortcut Tartar Sauce

I love tartar sauce - especially mixed with ketchup and served alongside French fries.  Mmm...  Even my indescribably picky daughter likes tartar sauce.  I like to make my own, but it does require a bit of prep work and a special ingredient (that I've only found locally at one out of the way store).  Sometimes I just want to make the kids a quick fish-wich, though.  Rather than buying the oily, flavor-lacking, and surely even less-healthy version from the store, I've come up with a quicky recipe.  The texture and flavors are great - very close to the original and certainly worth making!

Shortcut Tartar Sauce
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated

Ingredients:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp freeze-dried red onion (or fresh, minced)
1 tsp dill relish
1/2 tsp capers, drained & chopped fine

Directions:
1.  Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.  Stir until thoroughly mixed.

2.  The sauce can be used immediately, but benefits from a rest.  To rest: cover and chill for an hour or so before serving.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...