Sunday, August 7, 2011

Grilled Ham & Cheese English Muffin Sandwich

When my son was a toddler, his favorite TV show was Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals.  He loved when she'd say "Yummo!".  I'm a lucky mom - he loves food; a regular gourmet.
For dinner, I wanted to make grilled cheese sandwiches.  I had some Franz Hawaiian English Muffins and thought they'd be interesting to use instead of standard sliced bread.  I hopped online to see what people had to say about grilled English Muffin sandwiches.  Were they some wonderful delicacy I'd been missing out on all these years?  Were they an abomination - too tough, the filling shooting out when you take your first bite?
That's when I happened upon a recipe by Rachel Ray.  I immediately thought of my son and how he'd be pleased to be eating a recipe she'd deemed "yummo".  It turned out to be a good find.  The recipe had an interesting twist - the sandwiches were built inside out.  The result: a crunchy, tasty, grilled masterpiece.
This, of course, is a quick & easy lunch or dinner to make.  And, with the combo of crunchy sweet bread, smoky ham, and melty cheese, it's just delicious.  I guess I have been missing out all these years!

Grilled Ham & Cheese English Muffin Sandwich
Adapted from Rachel Ray

Ingredients:
4 english muffins (I used Franz Hawaiian)
Butter for spreading
Brown mustard (optional)
8 deli slices of Swiss cheese (I used baby Swiss)
8 deli slices of Black Forest ham

Directions:
1.  Split the muffins and spread butter on the cut sides.

2.  Spread a light layer of mustard on the smooth crusty sides (what used to be the outsides of the muffins).

3.  Place a slice of cheese over the mustard on each muffin half.  Fold the ham as necessary to fit and place two pieces of ham on two of the muffin halves.  Top with the remaining two muffin halves.  You should now have a sandwich with the following layers: butter, muffin, mustard, cheese, meat, cheese, mustard, muffin, butter.

4.  Heat a skillet or griddle to medium-low.  Once hot, add the sandwiches.  When the first sides are golden brown, flip.  Cook until the second sides are golden and the cheese is melted (turn the heat down if the bread is browning too quickly).

5.  Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...