Thursday, August 18, 2011

Biscoff Cookies

Biscoff Cookies - these cookies keep mysteriously popping up all over the place, I keep hearing about how great they are, how much people love them.  I decided to find out what all the hubbub is about.
I had never tried a biscoff cookie before (nor had I ever heard of them until recently).  Apparently, they are not only a popular European biscuit, but also a treat handed out as airline snacks.  I guess I've been flying with the wrong airlines - I consider it a good day if they even offer those tiny packets of stale peanuts.
Anyway, this recipe is adapted from one I found at Cupcake Project.  After reviewing several, I think this one best fits the general description of the cookie.
I write this now as a more seasoned cookie connoisseur.  Let me tell you: it was not much ado about nothing.  These cookies are crisp, buttery - not shortbread, but similar.  They have warm background flavors of brown sugar and cinnamon.  Clearly, I cannot compare for you the results of this recipe against the packaged product (since I've never had one).  But, I can and will say - these cookies are amazing!

Biscoff Cookies
Adapted from Cupcake Project

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (use fresh)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
1.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

2.  Stir the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together in a medium bowl.  Set aside.

3.  Beat the butter and sugars together in the bowl of a stand mixer until creamy.  Beat in the vanilla extract.  Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and beat again.

4.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet.  Beat on low speed just until the dry ingredients are incorporated.

5.  Form the dough into two disks.  Wrap each in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°.

6.  Working with one disk at a time, roll the dough between lightly-floured sheets of parchment paper to an even 1/4" thickness.

7.  Cut into shapes as desired.  Transfer the cutouts to the baking sheets.

8.  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown around the edges (cooking time will very depending on the size of the shape you used).

9.  Transfer the cookies to racks to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...