Monday, July 11, 2011

Frozen Bananaberry Salad

It is a common occurrence that I find myself with extra bananas and I'm always looking for new recipes to use them in.  Some of my favorites are banana bread (of course), banana jam (a recipe I'll be posting), and banana ice cream.  Yummy!
This contest-winning recipe is one I found at Taste of Home.  It is quick and easy to put together (though you do need to allow freezing time) and it's tasty.  
The only changes I made were: to reduce the Cool Whip to 8 oz and to quarter the bananas lengthwise before cutting instead of halving them (for smaller pieces).  I also omitted the nuts (due to the family's allergies).  The cranberries are just right in this salad, but if you have some aversion, you could substitute pie filling (though you'd probably want to reduce the sugar).
I served this salad alongside burgers on a hot day and it was just right.  Fruity, cool, and creamy.

Frozen Bananaberry Salad
Taste of Home


Ingredients:

1 20 oz can pineapple tidbits
5 medium firm bananas, quartered lengthwise and sliced
1 14 oz can whole-berry cranberry sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 8 oz (or 12 oz) package Cool Whip, thawed
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional).

Directions:

1.  Strain the pineapple juice into a medium bowl.  Gently toss the bananas in the juice.

2.  In a large bowl, mix the drained pineapple, sugar, and cranberry sauce.

3.  Fold the Cool Whip into the pineapple mixture.

4.  Strain the bananas, discard the juice (or drink it), and fold them into the mixture.

5.  Pour the mixture into a 9" X 13" baking dish.  Smooth the top.  Cover and freeze until solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...